Bosses Day was just on October 16th, but you may not have known that because you didn’t celebrate bosses day. Then again, if your boss has ever said anything to you like the statements you’re about to read, it makes sense why you didn’t know about it (and certainly wouldn’t want to celebrate it.)
“I was eating a banana at my desk, and my boss stopped by to tell me that women should never eat bananas at work, and that if we absolutely insist on eating one, we should break it into pieces instead of eating it ‘banana-style.’ Because penises.”
Single Dad Status
20. “I was completely upfront during the interview process about being a single dad. Well, when I had to leave on time one day — after a 10-hour shift — my boss asked, ‘Don’t you have someone to do that for you? Send her to your ex-wife’s!’”
19. “Once, a boss asked me if I could just tone down my confidence and bubbly personality — he said it was making other employees depressed.”
“My boss told me I ‘dropped the ball’ by going into labor on my due date.”
Not a Bad Makeup Day, Just a Jerky Boss
5. “I’m very allergic to nuts, and a colleague was eating trail mix near me. My cheeks became red and warm, so I took a Benadryl, and while I was waiting for it to kick in, my boss’s boss said, ‘You know that nobody takes you seriously when you look like a clown, right?’”
No Sensitivity Here
7. “I had to quit my job as a sous chef because my father was dying and my sister and I were the only ones taking care of him in in-home hospice. When I told my boss why I was quitting, he screamed, ‘Everyone dies — it’s not like you can save him!’ Then he lamented that he wished he could just hire robots.
Women NOT Supporting Other Women
8. “My boss told me that I was really pretty, but that I needed a boob job to be the ‘whole package.’ She then proceeded to tell me the different options and what size she thought would look best on me.”
British, Not Asian
“I’m a Malaysian living in the UK, and I worked at a fast food place when I was a student here. During my first week, my boss asked me to leave my station to take an order from an Asian customer. ‘You look alike, yes?’ she asked, ‘Maybe you’ll understand him better.’ From his accent, I could tell…he was British.”
Don’t Say This..EVER
“I went back to work after a long period off after losing my daughter, and my manager said, ‘Don’t worry — you’re still young enough to have another.’”
Single and Ready to…Die?
“I was made Fire Marshal of the building, which meant that during a fire drill — or real fire — I had to be the last one out to make sure everyone got out of the building. My boss told me I was selected because I didn’t have kids or a family to go home to. So basically, I was selected to die because I was childfree and single.”
No Tact, or Culture
“I wear a hijab, and my former boss once said that I’d look so much prettier without that towel on my head.”
Ya, NO. Handle This for Her
“I went to a manager to report that a coworker had made threats about raping me, saying that if he shut the door of the maintenance closet no one would have any idea what he was doing in there. My manager responded, ‘This store is big enough — you can stay away from him.’”
Believe it or not, there are more things bad bosses have said. You can read the rest of them in Bad Bosses and the Shit They Say: Part Two.
Want to tell your strange story? Tell us about it and it could be featured on Oddee. You can remain fully anonymous.