Pentagon Will Ramp Up Coronavirus Testing After Misspending Allegations



The Pentagon announced it will purchase $481 million in coronavirus tests after it was announced the Department of Defense will probe its misspending of stimulus money, according to the Washington Examiner.

“This industrial base expansion effort will allow Cue Health to increase production to 100,000 COVID-19 test kits per day by March 2021,” a Department of Defense press release reads.

The purchase will give the federal government six million point-of-care coronavirus tests that use nasal swabs to examine patients.

Now, the probe will investigate if the DoD awarded any of the $1 billion it received from Congress to fight coronavirus to buy military equipment.

But not long after the announcement of the coronavirus tests arrived, the Pentagon’s Inspector General said it would audit the DoD’s spending of the coronavirus stimulus money.

“The objective of this audit is to determine whether the DoD awarded Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act funding to increase the Defense Industrial Base manufacturing capacity in accordance with Federal regulations and Defense Production Act authorities,” the Inspector General statement read.

In September, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman attempted to squash early reports of misspending.

“The CARES Act did not limit – nor did it intend to limit in its language – the use of Defense Production Act (DPA) Title III to only medical resources,” Hoffman said in a Sept. 23 statement.

“The Act allowed monies to be spent to support individuals and industries that had been impacted by COVID,” Hoffman added. “It is clear that funding for Defense Industrial Base (DIB) uses would be appropriate.”

© 2020 Newsmax. All rights reserved.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *