There are no good vibrations coming from the Beach Boys these days. Members of the original Beach Boys lineup have clashed over a benefit held for Donald Trump. Mike Love’s touring version of the band was the headlining act for the event on Sunday in Newport Beach, California, for which tickets ranged between $2,800 per donor to $150,000. But Brian Wilson and Al Jardine said they had “absolutely nothing” to do with the benefit.
“We didn’t even know about it and were very surprised to read about it in the Los Angeles Times,” a statement to Variety read.
Love owns the rights to use the Beach Boys name for touring but Wilson was considered the genius behind the band’s success.
Earlier this year Wilson and Jardine encouraged fans to protest the touring version of the Beach Boys performing at a hunting convention that featured Donald Trump Jr. as a keynote speaker.
In a tweet, Wilson urged his followers to support a Change.org link that called on the band’s “record label, agent and publicists to disown the Beach Boys, and on members of the public to protest at forthcoming Beach Boys concerts” unless the band pulled out of the event. Love and the band ignored the protests and performed at the convention.
Love has not shied away from hiding his support of Trump. In 2017, his version of the band headlined Trump’s inaugural balls, USA Today reported. Commenting on the event, Love said it was a “moving experience,” adding that he had nothing negative to say about Trump.
© 2020 Newsmax. All rights reserved.